If you’ve been considering any sort of cosmetic vaginal surgery, you may feel as though you’ve read the entire Internet in your search for the right procedure and the right surgeon. Now that you’ve decided to have a particular procedure, it’s time to sit down and have a frank, one-on-one conversation with your surgeon.
Questions for Your Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
It may seem strange, but you can, and probably should, ask questions to which you have already found answers during your research. Your surgeon fields these questions regularly, and will almost certainly have his or her own answers—which may differ somewhat from things you have read. Additionally, after having examined you and discussed your goals, your surgeon can offer answers that are tailored to your individual procedure.
At the very least, you should ask the following:
- What specialized training do you have for the procedure(s) I’m having?
- How many surgeries like mine have you performed?
- What tools and equipment will you use?
- How long should I expect to have pain after the procedure?
- How long should I expect complete healing to take?
- What are the full costs? Will I see a single bill, or receive separate bills for anesthesia and other services?
Write Down the Things You Wish to Ask
You’ll probably have your own questions, and you should jot them down as you think of them. Keep a little notebook handy for several days before your consultation. In this way, you can be sure you don’t have to phone the office later and leave a message to ask about something you forgot.
Remember, this is your body, and your needs are important. Your surgeon works for you—not the other way around. He or she will be expecting you to have detailed questions, and will not take offense when you ask them.